Friday, May 16, 2008

Little League is Fun- Adding to Nicci's Post

So I just read Nics post about Owen and Little League. That is such a fun age for baseball! Just wait until they get about 12 and 13- they actually can really play and it gets exciting! At Owen's age, we used to get excited over a walk (Hey, he got on base :) ) Taylor went a whole season without a hit back then, but he got on base almost every time with a walk and boy could he steal bases! Just doin' his part!!

Derek is in the 13 and 14 year old division now and here is my pain. It is great to watch, but I have to say so little league compared to Centralia! Also, the parents drive me freakin nuts. First, there is the parent that is standing behind the plate telling each one of our kids, "Don't swing at the first pitch- take a look at it." and every kid listened to him as the first pitch went by- always a strike. When I watch a game, I have to worry about my husband giving a beat down to some idiot parent the whole time as they all try to coach our kid.

The best part are the mom's in the crowd. Favorite quote, "We just want this to be fair for all the boys, and fun." Who cares if little Johnny sucks and commits 10 errors in a row- he really wants to be short stop. F- that , stick his ass in Right field dammit! I want to see my kids team win. Mom's these days are creating a bunch of sissy's!! (Not directed at you Nic!!) I specifically remember in Centralia witnessing a bench clearing brawl at Wheeler field and the parents standing up and cheering it on! Those were the days!

OK, there is my venting session. Till tonight when I have to watch Derek's team give away a late inning lead just because the worst kid on the team thinks its a good time to learn to pitch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You would really appreciate our coach, he tells the boys they are playing like a bunch of girls. Some of them even have their very own "girl" name. Bill had to tell me to let it go, I'm still having trouble. I think the tough part about O's age is the transistion from taking sweet care of the boy to letting him fend for himself.

Do the Puyallup said...

Perfect- I think you will provide the right balance. We have to know when it is not a good time to feed them to the wolves.